Saturday, April 7, 2012

NaPoWriMo Day 7: Snow Geese

The challenge today is to write a poem about an animal, in the style of the great poet, Marianne Moore. I have written about birds, not animals, and hope she would approve.



Snow Geese

soar
through deep pockets of blue
and pale tumbling clouds,
then circle in from fields
where the scent of honeysuckle lingers.

A
mantle of white wings
plummets toward earth,
falling like angels,
celestial sunlight on their backs.

A
dog barks; geese scatter in a swift blur,
pinions shining against heaven,
silver feathers trailing to forever,
hills smudging the far horizon.

A
lovely image, flying into the wind,
tinsel plumes swaying,
sudden flurry of wing beats
as the world blunders on.

3 comments:

brenda w said...

Marianne, I saw the snow geese about three weeks ago at Freezeout Lake. There were hundreds of them, as it's on their migratory route. I love this piece, especially, A/ mantle of white wings / plummets toward earth, / falling like angels, / celestial sunlight on their back." You've captured them...this is beautiful writing.

irene said...

The poem really soared as it flew and flew, and that line about the world blundering is a good counterpoint. How very blessed to see them, as did you and Brenda.

flaubert said...

Marianne, that third stanza is gorgeous. I love this.

Pamela