Saturday, June 30, 2012

Wordle 63: The Simple Act of Preparing A Meal

New wordle words from Brenda at The Sunday Whirl:
skin, lips, thin, snapshots,
touch, other, act, hanging,
gesture, stand, sent, utter


The Simple Act of Preparing A Meal

Layer by layer,
she peels an onion,
removes thin, papery skin,
sets a battered frying pan
on the stove,
browns meat in oil
spattering grease.
Juicy canned tomatoes
sting a cut on her finger,
red chili powder
in dark red liquid.
A snapshot caught in time,
they share the simple food,
talk about a day so ordinary
it seems remarkable.
Standing behind his chair,
she touches her lips
to the top of his head.
After forty years, they finish
each other's sentences,
know each other's secrets.
And she's still beautiful,
because he loves her.

16 comments:

Mary said...

Well, I am a bit hungry after this. I enjoyed the scene you set, the care the couple had for each other, and the conclusion. Your poem kind of made me smile, as it is such a contrast to the couple I wrote about in MY wordle. LOL.

irene said...

So sweet, and so true that the simple act of preparing a meal and loving togetherness is sheer bliss. Food + love = heaven

Daydreamertoo said...

awww... you and I had the same thoughts on the words this week. How coincidental. :)
This is lovely.

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

The commonplace becomes holy through your words.

An Irish Whirl

Jules said...

'talk about a day so ordinary
it seems remarkable.'

And after 40 years ...each day is remarkable when they make it work for each other. A snapshot indeed.
Thanks for your visit and kind words.

brenda w said...

Oh Marianne, You did it! This is fabulous writing. It felt so familiar to me when I began the read, and then the image of husband and wife. You have made sacred the mundane.

brenda w said...

I have to tell you, that I did not read Magical Mystical Teacher's comments until after I wrote mine. So there you have it, this piece is quite special, Marianne.
:)

Elizabeth said...

Beautiful and loving portrait. Reminds me of my parents.

Elizabeth

joanne said...

Wow, very different take on wordles, and I love it.....It was happy and hopeful and fun.....thanx

Laurie Kolp said...

So sweet!!

flaubert said...

Oh, Marianne, what an absolutely heartwarming write. I love every single word here. Irene is correct, "food + love = heaven".

Pamela

daphnepurpus said...

Very sweet and touching! The photo is a real gem matching the richness of your poetry!

Willow said...

I love the gentle ease of this ordinary day that is really very special. It feels peaceful, even with a cut finger, calm, and the kiss and he still thinks your beautiful after 40 years because he loves you. Wonderful wordl/poem.

rosemary mint said...

Superb. A lovely snapshot.

Cathy said...

Wonderfully written

When Words Escape said...

Oh...how ironic! Though my poem does not mention it, I also wrote of a couple celebrating 40 years of marriage! :)

You captured the "simple act" of love, so well.