Saturday, July 7, 2012

Wordle 64: Eternity In A Drawer

New wordle words courtesy of Paula, at Brenda's The Sunday Whirl:
ignorant, spurn, eternity, drawers,
balls, year, rind, sting,
months, housewives, subtracting, fall



Eternity In A Drawer
A branch of dark gray willow,
rind rough and furrowed,
tap-taps against the window.
Late season flower petals fall,
litter the ground in the ambering light.
The phone rings once, twice,
the sound anxious and stinging.
She feels things shifting and
resettling. January waits,
months swiftly subtracting until,
blissfully ignorant, the new year
arrives in all its neonate splendor.
Deterred for now, eternity hides
away in a bottom dresser drawer.

15 comments:

Mary said...

Yes, those months leading to January do indeed subtract one by one until January finally is upon us. As I see it they subtract way too fast. Sigh.

Laurie Kolp said...

I love the sounds throughout. Time seems to fly for me these days.

Oak Creek Ranch said...

I love the imagery in this; how it captures the passage of time.

annell4 said...

A truly wonderful write!

Daydreamertoo said...

Time seems to have truly speed-ed up now (for me anyway) The weeks are flying by, let alone the days.
There are some great lines in this and some lovely imagery too.
I love 'eternity waits tucked away in the bottom dresser drawer'

margo said...

I love poems that cause me to make a sound something like 'hmh' right at the beginning. It means I have been intrigued at what is presented, and the poem holds its interesting insight. Love the turning line: 'She feels things shifting and
resettling'.

Anonymous said...

I particularly like "blissfully ignorant, the new year arrives". Very nice.

Jules said...

I really like those first three lines...though my willow will never tap at my window. She's way down by the creek. Another line I liked was ...in the ambering light - a wonderful sunset image.

Visit when you are able:
http://julesgemsandstuff.blogspot.com/2012/07/sw-64-wordle-diamond-in-rough.html

brenda w said...

Interesting that we both have tapping in our pieces, eh? I love "ambering light." It is perfect.

brenda w said...

Ha! Sorry, Marianne. Tap tap isn't in my wordle poem, but another piece I wrote for Trifecta today. Oops.

Elizabeth said...

Really like the feel you have captured in your choice of words. Time is passing and you make that present somehow. Some wonderful imagery here 'ambered light", and love that last line,

Elizabeth

irene said...

I like the mood you created, Marianne. A mood piece again.

flaubert said...

Nice passage of time, Marianne. Lovely.

Pamela

Walt Wojtanik said...

The rapid turn of calendar pages were never so succinctly expressed though wordle words. A wonderful romp.

teri said...

We leave that dresser drawer shut...thinking we are safe. Great write.