Saturday, July 14, 2012

Wordle 65: Ocean Obscura

New wordle words from Brenda at The Sunday Whirl:
flicks, swells, spray, brittle,
gravity, plant, trigger, relishes,
chain, crack, humility, refrain, claim

Alas, you will find no grittle here, although I immensely enjoyed the grittle comments on Saturday. That one word seemed to unite us as a group of grittle-y wordlers, as none other has! Woo-Hoo!


Ocean Obscura
Deep in the middle of the Atlantic,
where no one ever goes, silvery
chains of briny ocean swells begin
their endless journey toward shore.
The squally slate sky above cracks
and brittle sea shell rain lashes down.
Mesmerizing waves ripple and heave,
undulate over and over and over,
following the moon's gravitational pull
only to crash against rocky coastline.
Triggering the mermaid's mournful refrain,
beware, take care, the swirling water
flicks and sprays, and pounds again.

19 comments:

brenda w said...

Beautiful write, Marianne. My goal yesterday was to write about the ocean, but it just would not come. You brought it to the surface. This is lovely...rocky beaches are my favorite, they offer so much drama.

I enjoyed yesterday, too. I will grittle your words with my teeth, as I read your piece once again.

Oak Creek Ranch said...

I love those two last lines. They bring home the power of the ocean.

annell4 said...

I love this one and I so enjoyed riding the waves and swells back to shore!

joanne said...

I live on the ocean, and my dad was a commercial fisherman - out on the seas, days on end, facing stormy waves and rocky coasts.....He probably fancied a mermaid or two!

Laurie Kolp said...

Such a mesmerizing, peaceful piece... love the mermaid splash at the end.

Elizabeth said...

Spent a lot of time at the shore of Lake Michigan. Although not an ocean, your poem reminds me of the same feelings and thought patterns. Thank you for this beautiful write,

Elizabeth

Daydreamertoo said...

One of my most favourite things, water (or the moon) This is full of energy and power just as the ocean is. Alive and always on the move.
Great use of the worlde words Mariane :)
I loved the email fun yesterday too.

flaubert said...

Marianne, a beautiful write about the ocean, and I love the add of the mermaid. Very nicely done.

Pamela

daphnepurpus said...

I too love the last two lines and this is a beautiful poem! You really have captured the power of the ocean! Lovely!

margo said...

I have been surprised that more poems haven't been about the sea/ocean, given some of the words, so was glad to come to yours and follow the movements of the waves which you portray so well.

Mary said...

Marianne, this was truly a beautiful wordle write.

Anonymous said...

well done, enjoyed very much

Hannah said...

The squally slate sky above cracks
and brittle sea shells rain down.

I just love this!! These words were well suited for your topic...such a smooth wordle!!

teri said...

The addition of the mermaid at the end leaves me with a bit of a forlorn feeling. Maybe they will heed the light houses along the shore.

Scribbler said...

It had such a melancholy, fantastical feel to it - I felt like I could be watching a stormy sea as I read it.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, this is just so beautifully written! Well done a hundred times over.

gautami tripathy said...

Wonderful poem....

planted ruminations

Jules said...

Ocean, moon and mermaids...three of my favorite things. Reminds me of the opening of a murder mystery...I can hear the rain refrain and crashing waves...but I think our merfolk quite safe as they know how to handle the water they live in :)

I'm here:
http://julesgemsandstuff.blogspot.com/2012/07/sw-wordle-65-evening-odds.html

Tumblewords: said...

Stellar!