New wordle words from The Sunday Whirl:
umbrella, deeper, inherit, excuses, stand, become,
thunder, childhood, joined, vowed, shifts, light
Somewhere On US 90 Between LaCrosse And Rochester
Childhood ended, the future
beginning, we watched
as they exchanged vows
beneath umbrellas of confetti.
Heading home next day,
we drove through rolling hills
and dense forests, past towering
cliffs, spring-fed streams,
fields of rain-washed pumpkins,
faded barns, stodgy silos, clusters
of cows and countless small towns
sentenced to perpetual oblivion.
Gauzy mists swallowed stands
of pines, shifting skies
became curdled clouds.
Clenched grayness thundered open
and opaque rain swirled down.
An Amish horse and buggy,
black apparition silhouetted
against early morning light,
appeared on a slight rise.
The world gone watery,
a shiver of melancholy
washed over me.
Notes:
We went to an out-of-town family wedding yesterday morning, 300 miles round trip, through rain and mist and fog. It was fun, but the drive was long. It was still a gorgeous ride, through densely wooded hills and cow-studded pastures, past the grandeur of Lake Pepin. It would have been stunning on a sunny day. We just returned and I wrote my wordle. Seeing the Amish horse and buggy was spectacular. Nothing like that here in St. Paul. Made my morning!
12 comments:
Rain or shine, weddings go on... sounds like it was nice.
You have painted the scene beautifully, Marianne. I like the words this week, however, I am sick with the flu and writing is not so appealing right now.
Pamela
Yes, I like to see the Amish too. We encountered a whole group of them at the Milwaukee zoo last summer. Young women with their long dresses. Young men with black pants, white shirts, and hats. I don't know how they got there though. Didn't see any buggies in the parking lot!!
you've poemed such an authentic
picture - i feel as if i were
there myself. thank you.
We've a large Amish population here - in the Lancaster, PA area. Some families have stands in the local city and rural markets. Some of our suburban groceries have hitches for horse and buggy. Quite a different life they lead. Though modern aspects creep in. I know of several Amish who own have, though maybe don't own cell phones. :)
Thank you for your list. It provided this continuation:
http://julesgemsandstuff.blogspot.com/2012/10/sunday-whirl-78-new-recruit.html
Your title caught me. I grew up in Buffalo so am very familiar with US 90. These long drives we do sometimes stretch us into other places. You brought home more than a tiredness. You found perfection in the rain.
Love the scenic tour you painted for us. Used to do a road trip for a few years and always came back to Wisconsin on US 90 through La Crosse. Was always amazed to note that WI green was different, denser, more green somehow than elsewhere. Prejudice, I'm sure,
Elizabeth
Thank you for taking me with you, a lovely ride, and even more I loved the last three lines!!!
Sounds like a great trip...!
The wedding sounds as if it was gorgeous. 'Gently lit beneath confetti umbrellas'
I used t love driving 3-400 miles if the weather is good and on highways.
It seems you had a lot of time to take in the scenery. The 'small towns sentenced into perpetual oblivion' made me smile. Really enjoyed the description of the Amish horse and buggy. So many impatient drivers now and they are brave to travel in those things.
Lovely read, thank you.
Oh, my word. This whole thing is gorgeous, but this line is simply stunning:
"Gauzy mists swallowed stands
of pines, shifting skies
became curdled clouds."
WOW.
De
This is a strong write, Marianne. I love road trip pieces. Love them. This one does not disappoint. The Amish horse and buggy as a black apparition. Much appreciated image. Lovely.
Post a Comment