Saturday, April 13, 2013

2013 NaPoWriMo #13: Beyond Luck

Miz Quickly's PROMPT THIRTEEN: LUCK
Write a lucky poem. Or a poem about bad luck. Or luck in general.

I've never been any good at rhyming poems. I always feel silly, like I'm floundering, an enormous fish out of water, stuck in pudding. But, in spite of that, I've just penned this rather ditzy ditty!

Beyond Luck
As luck would have it,
missed the bus
what to do,
quite a fuss.

As luck would have it,
she met Harry
and instead
took the ferry.

As luck would have it,
lost her purse,
things had gone
from bad to worse.

As luck would have it,
rain poured down
umbrella forgotten
way uptown.

As luck would have it,
arrived late,
on her desk
another's nameplate.

As luck would have it,
there went Carrie
taking lunch 
with new friend Harry.

As luck would have it,
it all seemed silly,
no time like now
to gild the lily.

4 comments:

brenda w said...

As luck would have it, you are good at writing poems. :) Nicely done, Marianne. This was a fun romp, and gild the lily is a great expression.

Jules said...

I think by the end of this month if we don't all end up in the same kerfuffle with the same white coats with our arms secured round our waists with leather straps behind us...we'll be very lucky indeed. :)

Nice write.

flaubert said...

I do love
"no time like now
to gild the lily." that is a wonderful expression. Well done, Marianne.

Pamela

Anonymous said...

I also like your ending lines Marianne, and stayed away of rhyming for a long time and for the very same reason. But, they can be so much fun, like your poem is.

Elizabeth
http://soulsmusic.wordpress.com/2013/04/13/was-it-just-luck/