Use all, or some, of these words in a poem:
park, page, yard, status, shimmering, spill,
spewing, thunder, rest, curb, jets, steps
Early Morning Storm
Spilling from brimming clouds,
rain batters her window,
soaks gauzy bedroom curtains.
rain batters her window,
soaks gauzy bedroom curtains.
Hard shatters break the silence,
thunder and lightning explode,
spewing from every direction.
In the yard, a puddle shimmers
at the bottom of the garden steps
where her mother's mint grows.
where her mother's mint grows.
Heavy with raindrops, a leaf falls
across the soggy page of the day.
She trembles; she's lied
about too many things..
across the soggy page of the day.
She trembles; she's lied
about too many things..
Process Notes:
After a winter that lasted well into April, we are now in a holding pattern of rain and more rain. I love the occasional rainy day, or even rainy week, but I am ready for sunshine and blue skies!
13 comments:
I feel that way when it rains, too.
So descriptive that while I face a sunny window at present, I feel the dampness for just a moment!
You really caught the mood of a rainy day!
There's an oppressive honesty about this poem. Rainy days are indeed often as you describe them.
Four-Word Whirl
I understand gloomy and melancholy days but I love the rain. I wish someone would pair up gloomy and melancholy with the sun shining someday.
Great capture of rainy days, Marianne. I love the rain, and sometimes it can be depressing, but I consider the alternative.
Pamela
I love the heavy dreariness of rain. Your poem captures it beautifully. Rich with images enough to shatter that melancholy. Strong piece, Marianne.
You've painted a visceral scene, Marianne. Too much thunder? I know how it feels.
In Australia the rain is almost always welcome and forgiven when it's not. Usually it brings smiles to faces. I know Antarctica is supposed to be the driest continent but we must come a close second.
I can empathize about the rain. We had a few warm days, but when the rain started, It brought the mood way down. We have to be closer to the correct seasonal weather soon, Marianne. Hang in there, and keep writing such great and expressive work.
The monsoon is on here and we are experiencing this!! Good descriptions!!
Such a beautiful read...
universe will not hand it over to you
Beautiful but very sad and very relateable I often get this way after long periods of grey weather or during the Swedish winters
Post a Comment